Most of the way from Washington, Georgia, to Columbia, South Carolina, is two-lane. We decided to pull over to reinspect the map, and luckily, there was a handy pull-over spot.
In front of a church.
With historical markers.
ORGANIZED IN 1785 OR 86 BY
TWO PRESBYTERIAN MINISTERS REV.
JOHN NEWTON & REV. JOHN SIMPSON.
FIRST HOUSE OF WORSHIP ERECTED
IN 1793 ON LAND GIVEN BY SIR JOHN
TALBOT IN 1820 PRESBYTERIAN MEM-
BERSHIP TRANSFERRED TO WASHING-
TON AND OFFERED SMYRNA TO THE
METHODISTS. REGULAR CHURCH
SERVICES HAVE BEEN HELD ON THIS
SITE WITHOUT INTERRUPTION SINCE 1793.
Smyrna Church was organized about 1786, by the Rev. John Newton
and the Rev. John Simpson, Presbyterian ministers under the
jurisdiction of the South Carolina Presbytery. Services were
at first held in the homes of the members. The first Smyrna
church edifice, built on this site in 1793, was of logs, with
a steeple. The first regular pastor was the Rev. John Springer,
who preached here until 1801. About 1820, the church membership
decline to fifteen, and these removed to Washington to affiliate
with the Washington Presbyterian Church.
At this time, the Smyrna Presbyterians, through their elders,
tenered the use of the church edifice to the Methodists, who
accepted and soon established a flourishing Methodist Society
here. The old church was in use until 1860, when it was torn
down and a new building erected. On October 6, 1886, the title
to Smyrna Church was passed from the Trustees of the Washington
Presbyterian Church to the Trustees of the Smyrna Methodist
Church. In 1911, a new building was constructed, the third
Smyrna on this site.
In the 1840s, an encampment was prepared near the church, and
was used as a camp ground by both Presbyterians and Methodists.
This burying ground was laid out in 1788 when
Sir John Talbot gave two acres of his vast
estate for use as a Presbyterian Church and
churchyard. Sir John was descended from the Earl
of Shrewsbury. His own son, Matthew Talbot, served
as a Superior Court judge, President of the
Georgia Senate in 1811, 1817-22, and as Governor
of Georgia from Oct. 24 to Nov. 5, 1819. Both
are buried here.
W.H.T. Walker, Confederate General killed in the
Battle of Atlanta, was a descendant of Sir John
The Presbyterians moved to a new building in
Washington in 1825.
And taking photos of both sides of the markers, even though they are identical, shows interesting details of the landscape, like how near the highway is, or the foliage.
Or Sugar sitting in the car, pushing food in his face.